Resolution of CNAME taking long time when using a CDN but website is working

Hello!

When deploying - I have a custom domain proxied through Cloudflare. CNAME are correctly added on Cloudflare and everything works well.

However, when deploying, the step “Resolution of CNAME” takes veeeeery very long (too many retries), and it fails in the end. I am a bit confused about this resolution step - since the console fails but the website works.

Can anyone help ?

Thank you!

Hi @CBaptiste ,

Indeed, it’s a known “issue” and we’ll provide a solution to make it faster to deploy when using a Cloudflare CDN.

Explanation

Qovery makes sure that your application is really live and custom domain resolution works before marking the app RUNNING. The reason why it takes so long is that Qovery has no clue to know that your domain foo.bar is behind a proxy and when trying to resolve the domain foo.bar it will get a DNS response that does not reflect the expected CNAME

dig www.foo.bar @8.8.8.8 CNAME

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.foo.bar @8.8.8.8 CNAME
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57706
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.foor.bar.             IN      CNAME

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
foo.bar.          1800    IN      SOA     aaron.ns.cloudflare.com. dns.cloudflare.com. 2279244344 10000 2400 604800 3600

;; Query time: 48 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun May 29 12:37:19 CEST 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 106

So Qovery is waiting until exceeding all the retries.

We have made that to prevent TLS and domain cache issues that happened if you open too fast your custom domain in your browser.

I put our PMs in cc - @a_carrano @Florian_Lepont @Pierre_Mavro

This is super clear - thank you for the explanation!

1 Like

FYI You can now disable DNS check

omg lifesaver thank you!

Hi :slight_smile:
Still facing this issue. Writing to subscribe to any updates. Will turn off DNS check for now.

Thanks!

Hi @liorsbg , what issue do you face? That the DNS resolution is too long while using a CDN? (If yes it’s normal as explained above)

Yes, It never resolves DNS, failing after a very long time. When you mentioned solution is coming I figured you meant a different way of checking that wont fail. It’s not a big deal it’s just a rough edge, there’s opportunity for a better UX here.