Deploy Helm Chart and documentation clarity

I’m looking at installing better monitoring and I’ve read some of the documentation and it appears that there’s two different methods that are suggested:

Using a local version of helm

Using a life cycle job

Why does the documentation differ and what is preferred?

Ok I’m using the ‘How to Deploy Helm Charts’ and running into an error on deploy:

An error occurred (AccessDeniedException) when calling the DescribeCluster operation: User: arn:aws:iam::XXXXXXX:user/ZZZZZZ is not authorized to perform: eks:DescribeCluster on resource: arn:aws:eks:us-east-1:XXXXX:cluster/qovery-ABCDEFG

Oh I think this is cause my lifecycle job shared configuration with other services and it really needed to use a different IAM policy

Hi @kincorvia, did you solve your issue?

Nope, I was able to get the agent deployed using the life cycle job but I don’t see any resources in AWS Cloudwatch Container Insights. Perhaps I need to point it at something or configure something I’m unaware of…

Hello,

Have you took a look at Verify prerequisites - Amazon CloudWatch and created the necessary IAM policies ?

Thank you Erebe, that did fix my issue. I now have container monitoring set up through AWS Cloudwatch… It’s difficult to tell which pod is what based on the name, is there any suggestions on the best way to map these so I can actually tell what i’m looking at?

Hi @kincorvia,

is it an environment that you created before the 20th of July? Because for any new service/environment, we have added human readable ids in Kubernetes (have a look at this post for more info)

Suppose you created the environment before the 20th of July and still want human-readable ids. In that case, you will have to clone the environment and migrate all the traffic/data within the new environment.

unfortunately, we can’t apply these changes automatically on old environments.

Hi, I’m just bumping this thread to let you know that we now support an easier way to deploy Helm Charts :slight_smile:

Happy to have your feedback