A bunch of external contributors and the Qovery team have created RepliByte - an open-source tool to seed a development database from a production database.
- Support data backup and restore for PostgreSQL, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Replace sensitive data with fake data
- Works on large database (> 10GB) (read Design)
- Database Subsetting: Scale down a production database to a more reasonable size
- Start a local database with the prod data in a single command
- On-the-fly data (de)compression (Zlib)
- On-the-fly data de/encryption (AES-256)
- Fully stateless (no server, no daemon) and lightweight binary
- Use custom transformers
As a developer, creating a fake dataset for running tests is tedious. Plus, it does not reflect real-world data and is painful to keep updated. If you prefer to run your app tests with production data. Then RepliByte is for you as well.
Note: Replibyte will be integrated directly in Qovery this year
Available for MacOSX, Linux, and Windows.